Lead Poisoning

 

What is it?

Lead poisoning occurs when you absorb too much lead by breathing or swallowing a substance with lead in it, such as paint, dust, water, or food. Lead can damage almost every organ in the body.

What can I do?

Lead poisoning is entirely preventable. The key is stopping children from coming into contact with lead and treating children who have been poisoned by lead.

The goal is to prevent lead exposure to children before they are harmed. There are many ways parents can reduce a child’s exposure to lead. The key is stopping children from coming into contact with lead. Lead hazards in a child’s environment must be identified and controlled or removed safely.

What does the Green County Health Department do ?

The health department offers blood lead testing for children age 6 months to 5 years old.

We also conduct environmental assessment of homes where children with
elevated lead levels live.

If you have any questions give us a call at 608-328-9390.

Useful Links: